Be part of our work
The New Zealand Book Council relies on fundraising each year to continue our work. Without your support, we can’t build on our successes and continue to nurture young readers and support New Zealand writers and New Zealand stories. We ask you to share in our achievements and play a vital role in the future of New Zealand books and reading.
We’ve come up with a range of options to suit you or your organisation:
- Become a Member
- Become a Patron
- Become a Books Champion, Books Ambassador or Books Luminary
- Become a Corporate Partner
- Make a donation
- Make a bequest
To become a supporter of the New Zealand Book Council, please contact us on 04 801 5546 or email@example.com. Thank you for your support.
As a registered charity, your membership makes a real difference. It allows us to deliver our nationwide programmes for New Zealand readers and writers, such as Writers in Schools. In addition to helping us with our work, you receive:
- New Zealand Writers in Conversation one free ticket to one of four exclusive annual writers’ events nationwide, featuring leading New Zealand authors
- Our quarterly Members’ Newsletter with exclusive content for members
- Booknotes Unbound our lively online magazine featuring new writing, author interviews and commentary
- Preferential booking and reduced ticket prices for Book Council author events.
Individual membership costs $50 per year. Student discount: $35 per member per year.
New Zealand Books joint membership offer
Love New Zealand books?
In partnership with New Zealand Books magazine we are pleased to offer membership of the NZ Book Council (with all the benefits listed above) plus an annual subscription to New Zealand Books, the country’s only publication dedicated to reviewing local literature. New Zealand Books is published quarterly and usually costs $44 per year.
NZ Book Council and New Zealand Books joint membership is just $90 per year. Sign up for longer for even greater savings: just $170 for two years or $240 for three years.
Writers in Schools is our highly regarded education programme, bringing leading New Zealand writers and illustrators into schools to enthuse, inspire and encourage young readers. School Members are eligible for one free author visit per year plus our quarterly e-publication, the School Library, featuring news and children’s book reviews. School membership is $90 per year.
We support the work of public libraries to nurture and grow their writing and reading communities. Public Library Members receive:
• One free New Zealand Writers in Conversation event each year, featuring a leading New Zealand writer
• Our quarterly Members’ Newsletter, with exclusive content for members
Public Library membership costs $400 per year.
Support the work we do on behalf of New Zealand writers to raise their profile and to increase their audiences through our programmes such as Writers in Schools and Words on Wheels. You will receive one free advert per year in Booknotes Unbound and our quarterly Members Newsletter, with exclusive content for members. Designed for publishers and booksellers, Associate membership costs $300 per year.
Join us and support the important work we do to promote and nurture New Zealand’s writers and readers nationwide. Corporate Members receive one free author event per year, providing your staff with a unique team building experience. Corporate membership costs $1000 per year.
To become a Member, please contact us on 04 801 5546 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our Patrons gain all the benefits of Book Council membership as well as supporting the work of the Book Council. We also acknowledge your support on our website and in our annual report. Patron memberships start from $200.
Your vision and generosity can help us fund:
New Zealand Writing
- $200 enables us to update and enrich five of our unique online biographies of New Zealand writers, used as a key resource around the world
- $400 enables two new writer’s files to be researched and added to our online biographies of New Zealand writers, used as a key resource around the world
Writers in Schools
- $200 covers the fee for a New Zealand writer to visit a school as part of our highly respected nationwide education programme
- $400 supports a full day school visit by a New Zealand writer as part of our highly respected nationwide education programme
Words on Wheels tours five top writers to a different region for a week each year
- $200 will contribute towards a writer’s fee for one day’s travel on a rural tour
- $400 will contribute towards writer’s fees, travel and accommodation for one day’s travel on a rural tour
- $200 helps us produce four of our popular Reading Doctor advice columns
- $400 allows us to commission two articles by New Zealand’s leading writers
The Book Council is the strongest voice of advocacy for books and reading in New Zealand. We collaborate with booksellers and publishers to raise the profile of books; speak on behalf of readers in the media; mount reading promotions and offer a hub for the books community on our website.
The vision and generosity of our supporters enables us to build on our successes and expand our advocacy work. It is your donation that enables us to be the best and most effective organisation we can be.
Individuals are invited to support us to the following levels:
NZ Book Council Champions ($500-plus)
Champions, Ambassadors and Luminaries receive all the benefits as our Patrons. You also receive invitations to Book Council events, such as the annual New Zealand Book Council lecture, and to intimate author evenings. We acknowledge your generous support on our website and in our annual report.
To become a Patron, please contact us to talk about the kinds of projects you can support. Please contact: email@example.com or phone 04 801 5546.
Become part of what we do and help your business play a key role in New Zealand’s literary future.
Enhance your corporate profile
- We can offer brand alignment with New Zealand’s respected national literary charity, building positive connections in the minds of your stakeholders
- Showcase your partnership via our popular nationwide public events
- Reach a broad market through your logo placement on our website, printed and e-material, media releases and annual report
Unique opportunities for your staff and clients
- We can connect you with New Zealand’s best writers and thinkers so you can enrich your relationships with staff and clients
- We can provide customised book and writers’ events, bringing a fresh approach to both client hosting and staff team building
- We can offer hosting opportunities, priority booking and VIP tickets for our popular public events nationwide
Talk to us about unique staff and customer engagement opportunities, tailored to your needs and interests. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 04 801 5546.
- We greatly appreciate all donations, big or small. To donate, click the DONATE button on our home page or contact email@example.com for a donation form. Donations of $5 or more are tax deductible.
- Leave a lasting legacy. Help us support New Zealand’s writers and readers now and for the future. To find out more about a Book Council Bequest, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 04 801 5546.