Be part of our work
The New Zealand Book Council relies on fundraising each year to continue our work. Without your support, we can’t build on our successes and continue to nurture young readers and support New Zealand writers and New Zealand stories. We ask you to share in our achievements and play a vital role in the future of New Zealand books and reading.
There are a number of ways you can support our efforts to enrich the lives of New Zealanders through books and reading:
- Become a member: find more information or join or renew your membership now
- Become a patron: find more information or join now
- Make a donation: find more information or give now
As a registered charity, your membership makes a real difference. It allows us to deliver our nationwide programmes for New Zealand readers and writers, such as Writers in Schools. In addition to helping us with our work, you receive:
- New Zealand Writers in Conversation: one free ticket to an annual Book Council event, featuring leading New Zealand authors
- Our quarterly Members’ Newsletter with exclusive content for members
- Booknotes Unbound our lively online magazine featuring new writing, author interviews and commentary
- Preferential booking and reduced ticket prices for Book Council author events.
Individual membership currently costs $50 per year or $35 for students. Click through to our members' site to join.
Writers in Schools is our highly regarded education programme, bringing leading New Zealand writers and illustrators into schools to enthuse, inspire and encourage young readers. School Members are eligible for one free author visit per year plus our quarterly e-publication, the School Library, featuring news and children’s book reviews. School membership is $103.50 per year (incl GST). If you would like to sign up your school and join the Writers in Schools programme, click here.
Joint Membership: New Zealand Book Council and New Zealand Books Pukapuka Aotearoa
New Zealand Books Pukapuka Aotearoa is a quarterly journal published by Peppercorn Press and is dedicated to publishing informed and informative reviews of books written and published by and about New Zealanders. In March 2016, Peppercorn Press launched a new web-based initiative – Hooked on NZ Books – to encourage young people to engage with reviews and reviewing. To find out more go to nzbooks.org.nz.
Take out a joint membership to support New Zealand readers, writers and publishers through our combined activities. A joint membership costs $85, and includes a one year subscription to New Zealand Books Pukapuka Aotearoa.
To subscribe, either:
e-mail your postal address to firstname.lastname@example.org and make your payment by bank deposit to:
New Zealand Book Council
Including your name as a reference.
Or send a cheque (made out to New Zealand Book Council) to the following address:
New Zealand Book Council
Level 4, Stephenson & Turner House
156 Victoria Street
For further information, email email@example.com
Support the work we do on behalf of New Zealand writers to raise their profile and to increase their audiences through our programmes such as Writers in Schools and Words on Wheels. You will receive one free advert per year in Booknotes Unbound and our quarterly Members Newsletter, with exclusive content for members. Designed for publishers and booksellers, Associate membership costs $300 per year.
Click through to our members' site to join.
Join us and support the important work we do to promote and nurture New Zealand’s writers and readers nationwide. Corporate Members receive one free author event per year, providing your staff with a unique team building experience. Corporate membership costs $1000 per year.
To become a Member, please contact us on 04 801 554604 801 5546 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our Patrons gain all the benefits of Book Council membership as well as supporting the work of the Book Council. We also acknowledge your support on our website and in our annual report. Patron memberships start from $200.
Your vision and generosity can help us fund:
New Zealand Writing
- $200 enables us to update and enrich five of our unique online biographies of New Zealand writers, used as a key resource around the world
- $400 enables two new writer’s files to be researched and added to our online biographies of New Zealand writers, used as a key resource around the world
Writers in Schools
- $200 covers the fee for a New Zealand writer to visit a school as part of our highly respected nationwide education programme
- $400 supports a full day school visit by a New Zealand writer as part of our highly respected nationwide education programme
Words on Wheels tours five top writers to a different region for a week each year
- $200 will contribute towards a writer’s fee for one day’s travel on a rural tour
- $400 will contribute towards writer’s fees, travel and accommodation for one day’s travel on a rural tour
- $200 helps us produce four of our popular Reading Doctor advice columns
- $400 allows us to commission two articles by New Zealand’s leading writers
The Book Council is the strongest voice of advocacy for books and reading in New Zealand. We collaborate with booksellers and publishers to raise the profile of books; speak on behalf of readers in the media; mount reading promotions and offer a hub for the books community on our website.
The vision and generosity of our supporters enables us to build on our successes and expand our advocacy work. It is your donation that enables us to be the best and most effective organisation we can be.
Individuals are invited to support us to the following levels:
NZ Book Council Champions ($500-plus)
Champions, Ambassadors and Luminaries receive all the benefits of our Patrons. You also receive invitations to Book Council events, such as the annual New Zealand Book Council lecture, and to intimate author evenings. We acknowledge your generous support on our website and in our annual report.
To become a Patron, please contact us to talk about the kinds of projects you can support. Please contact: email@example.com or phone 04 801 554604 801 5546.
Become part of what we do and help your business play a key role in New Zealand’s literary future.
Enhance your corporate profile
- We can offer brand alignment with New Zealand’s respected national literary charity, building positive connections in the minds of your stakeholders
- Showcase your partnership via our popular nationwide public events
- Reach a broad market through your logo placement on our website, printed and e-material, media releases and annual report
Unique opportunities for your staff and clients
- We can connect you with New Zealand’s best writers and thinkers so you can enrich your relationships with staff and clients
- We can provide customised book and writers’ events, bringing a fresh approach to both client hosting and staff team building
- We can offer hosting opportunities, priority booking and VIP tickets for our popular public events nationwide
Talk to us about unique staff and customer engagement opportunities, tailored to your needs and interests. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 04 801 554604 801 5546.
- We greatly appreciate all donations, big or small. To donate, click the DONATE button on our home page or contact email@example.com for a donation form. Donations of $5 or more are tax deductible.
- Leave a lasting legacy. Help us support New Zealand’s writers and readers now and for the future. To find out more about a Book Council Bequest, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 04 801 554604 801 5546.