Be part of our work
The New Zealand Book Council relies on fundraising each year to continue our work. Without your support, we can’t build on our successes and continue to nurture young readers and support New Zealand writers and New Zealand stories. We ask you to share in our achievements and play a vital role in the future of New Zealand books and reading.
There are a number of ways you can support our efforts to enrich the lives of New Zealanders through books and reading:
- Become a member: find more information or join or renew your membership now
- Become a patron: find more information or join now
- Make a donation: find more information or give now
Your contribution will help us to fund:
- our education programmes, including Writers in Schools, which inspires more than 25,000 children each year to learn and create through reading and writing
- our website, a unique and invaluable resource on New Zealand writing
- our vigorous advocacy of books, reading, writing and initiatives to enthuse more New Zealanders to read more
- our support of New Zealand writing and writers through our education and reader programmes and our promotional work
- reader initiatives designed for you, our fellow book lovers, including publications and newsletters and author events across the country.
Indidvidual membership costs just $29 a year and you receive:
- a copy of the Book Council annual, bringing together new writing and stories about our work and programmes.
- preferential booking and reduced ticket prices for Book Council author events
- If you are a school member, you can apply for visits from leading New Zealand writers through our Writers in Schools programme, receive our email publication The School Library, and receive discounts for writer tours and other school events.
Click through to our members' site to join. If you would like to sign up your school and join the Writers in Schools programme, click here.
NB: In 2013 we moved our members' magazine Booknotes online to be part of a new and bigger editorial effort at the Book Council. Our new online magazine hub, Booknotes Unbound, is free for all readers to access, and we no longer distribute the printed Booknotes to members. For more information about this change, click here.
Patron membership is our membership option for organisations and businesses, although we also welcome any individual who wishes to join as a Patron. Patrons receive all the benefits that come with Book Council membership. We also acknowledge our patrons’ financial support on our website and in our annual report*.
We have four Patron membership options. These give you a choice in how much you contribute financially and in how your contribution is used:
New Zealand Writing Patron - $100
The Book Council’s Writers Files on this website are an unparalleled resource on New Zealand writing, visited by hundreds of thousands of readers here and overseas each year. Your contribution will pay for a biographical file for a new author to be researched and added to this invaluable online encyclopaedia of New Zealand writers.
Writers in School Patron - $200
For more than 35 years, our flagship Writers in School programme has been inspiring children to read, write, create and learn through books. Your contribution will pay for a New Zealand writer to visit a school for half a day to enthuse its students about books and reading.
Words on Wheels Patron - $250
The Book Council’s Word on Wheels rural author tour of New Zealand began 18 years ago to enable readers in all corners of the country to enjoy New Zealand’s variety of great writers and writing. Run on a shoe-string, Words on Wheels takes to a different region for a week each year with five top writers. Your contribution will pay for one day’s touring for one writer on next year’s rural tour.
Books Champion Patron - $300
The Book Council is the single strongest voice of advocacy for books and reading in New Zealand. This entails collaborating with booksellers and publishers in efforts to raise the profile of books; speaking on behalf of readers in the media; mounting our own reading promotions, like the viral hit Going West short film; and offering channels of communication for the books community in our websites, including Booknotes Unbound. This range of activity is done by a small but experienced and enthusiastic group of book promoters. Your contribution as a Books Champion will help expand and develop their advocacy work.
To become a Patron member, click through and sign up at our membership site.
*please contact us on 04 499 1569 or at firstname.lastname@example.org or if you would prefer that your organisation is not publicly recognised
The Book Council is the strongest voice of advocacy for books and reading in New Zealand. We collaborate with booksellers and publishers to raise the profile of books; speak on behalf of readers in the media; mount reading promotions and offer a hub for the books community on our website.
The vision and generosity of our supporters enables us to build on our successes and expand our advocacy work. It is your donation that enables us to be the best and most effective organisation we can be.
Individuals are invited to support us to the following levels:
NZ Book Council Champions ($500-plus)
Champions, Ambassadors and Luminaries receive all the benefits of our Patrons. You also receive invitations to Book Council events, such as the annual New Zealand Book Council lecture, and to intimate author evenings. We acknowledge your generous support on our website and in our annual report.
To become a Patron, please contact us to talk about the kinds of projects you can support. Please contact: email@example.com or phone 04 801 5546.
Become part of what we do and help your business play a key role in New Zealand’s literary future.
Enhance your corporate profile
- We can offer brand alignment with New Zealand’s respected national literary charity, building positive connections in the minds of your stakeholders
- Showcase your partnership via our popular nationwide public events
- Reach a broad market through your logo placement on our website, printed and e-material, media releases and annual report
Unique opportunities for your staff and clients
- We can connect you with New Zealand’s best writers and thinkers so you can enrich your relationships with staff and clients
- We can provide customised book and writers’ events, bringing a fresh approach to both client hosting and staff team building
- We can offer hosting opportunities, priority booking and VIP tickets for our popular public events nationwide
Talk to us about unique staff and customer engagement opportunities, tailored to your needs and interests. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 04 801 5546.
- We greatly appreciate all donations, big or small. To donate, click the DONATE button on our home page or contact email@example.com for a donation form. Donations of $5 or more are tax deductible.
- Leave a lasting legacy. Help us support New Zealand’s writers and readers now and for the future. To find out more about a Book Council Bequest, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 04 801 5546.