Support the Book Council
Help us promote a love of books and reading in New Zealand
There are a number of ways you can support our efforts to enrich the lives of New Zealanders through books and reading:
- Become a member: find more information or join now
- Become a patron: find more information or join now
- Make a donation: find more information or give now
Your contribution will help us to fund:
- our education programmes, including Writers in Schools, which inspires more than 50,000 children each year to learn and create through reading and writing
- our website, a unique and invaluable resource on New Zealand writing
- our vigorous advocacy of books, reading, writing and initiatives to enthuse more New Zealanders to read more
- our support of New Zealand writing and writers through our education and reader programmes and our promotional work
- reader initiatives designed for you, our fellow book lovers, including publications and newsletters and author events across the country.
Indidvidual membership costs just $29 a year and you receive:
- a copy of the beautiful new Book Council annual, bringing together the year's best literary commentary and new writing from New Zealand. We will be posting more information about the March 2014 launch edition of this soon
- preferential booking and reduced ticket prices for Book Council author events
- If you are a school member, you can apply for visits from leading New Zealand writers through our Writers in Schools programme, and will receive our quarterly email publication The School Library with news and children's book reviews
Click through to our members' site to join. If you would like to sign up your school and join the Writers in Schools programme, click here.
NB: We are moving our members' magazine Booknotes online to be part of a new and bigger editorial effort at the Book Council. Our new online magazine hub, Booknotes Unbound, will be free for all readers to access, and we will no longer be distributing the printed Booknotes to members. For more information about this change, click here.
Patron membership is our membership option for organisations and businesses, although we also welcome any individual who wishes to join as a Patron. Patrons receive all the benefits that come with Book Council membership. We also acknowledge our patrons’ financial support on our website and in our annual report*.
We have four Patron membership options. These give you a choice in how much you contribute financially and in how your contribution is used:
New Zealand Writing Patron - $100
The Book Council’s Writers Files on this website are an unparalleled resource on New Zealand writing, visited by hundreds of thousands of readers here and overseas each year. Your contribution will pay for a biographical file for a new author to be researched and added to this invaluable online encyclopaedia of New Zealand writers.
Writers in School Patron - $200
For more than 35 years, our flagship Writers in School programme has been inspiring children to read, write, create and learn through books. Your contribution will pay for a New Zealand writer to visit a school for half a day to enthuse its students about books and reading.
Words on Wheels Patron - $300
The Book Council’s Word on Wheels rural author tour of New Zealand began 18 years ago to enable readers in all corners of the country to enjoy New Zealand’s variety of great writers and writing. Run on a shoe-string, Words on Wheels takes to a different region for a week each year with five top writers. Your contribution will pay for one day’s touring for one writer on next year’s rural tour.
Books Champion Patron - $500
The Book Council is the single strongest voice of advocacy for books and reading in New Zealand. This entails collaborating with booksellers and publishers in efforts to raise the profile of books; speaking on behalf of readers in the media; mounting our own reading promotions, like the viral hit Going West short film; and offering channels of communication for the books community in our website and our magazine Booknotes. This range of activity is done by a small but experienced and enthusiastic group of book promoters. Your contribution as a Books Champion will help expand and develop their advocacy work.
To become a Patron member, click through and sign up at our membership site.
*please contact us on 04 499 1569 or at email@example.com or if you would prefer that your organisation is not publicly recognised
We greatly appreciate all donations, big or small. You can make a donation at our online shop.